Friday, June 6

Hello! Long time...

Well then. It's been a while. I be started university, landed myself in hospital, left university (well, suspended study), and got myself stuck in a nursing home.

Needless to say, I don't like it very much. A few of the staff are brilliant, most are mediocre, and a few absolutely dreadful. I am constantly bored and frustrated, deprived of contact with the outside world and with my peer group, offered no meaningful activity and precious little social interaction. I read books, surf the Internet and listen to music, and try to keep existing and avoid the bullying staff in between visits from friends and family.

It would be so easy for them to improve conditions for the residents here, young and old alike. Staff retreat to a room with a closed door in their break time, residents are left slumped in chairs, in front of the TV if they're lucky but just as likely to be left staring at a wall or out of a window with a view into nothing. Books, magazines and is puzzles exist but are never offered. I've never seen a member of care staff engage a resident in any meaningful activity, the physiotherapist lining people up to paint large terracotta pots in bright primary colours once a fortnight currently being the single group activity happening here. Residents with severe, multiple impairments do not join in.

We did baking, once. Four of us, and one of the cooks came in on his day off. It was brilliant, animated and interesting even only for a few hours. The cake I made wasn't half bad either. Despite our enthusiasm, it seems to have been a one-off. That was weeks ago now.

Eventually, I should get out of here. Nobody seems to want to pay for 36 person-hours of care needed in each 24. Funny that. But that's what I need to live independently, so that's what I'm going to get. It's going to take a long time and a lot of hard work, a lot of fighting to get that. But I will. I cannot spend the rest of my life here.

2 comments:

Tia said...

I hope you get sprung soon
Tia

Becca said...

Cheers, Tia.

So do I!